Its motto: `The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.’ Mahatma Gandhi
All animals have the right to enjoy five basic freedoms:
- Freedom from hunger, thirst and malnutrition
- Freedom from physical discomfort and pain
- Freedom from injury and diseases
- Freedom from fear and distress
- Freedom to express their normal behavioral needs
It believes that the natural environment is a shared heritage for humankind, and seeks to create, promote, and preserve ecologically sustainable relationships globally.